Christy's Chicken Sate and Peanut Sauce

Christy's note:  no source attributed in my book, in my handwriting on a scrap of
paper, where did I get this?


Cut boneless skinless chicken breast into long strips, then halve the
long way (strips are length of the breast and about 3/4 x 3/4".  more
width is too hard to cook, and the outside chars while the inside is
still not quite done.)
Marinate in:
1 t black pepper
1 t cumin
1 t ground coriander
1/2 t tumeric
1 t garlic, minced
1 t sugar
1 T oil
1 T soy sauce
1 T lemon
1 t fish sauce
(note I usually just slop the liquid ingredients into a bowl, am sure
I use more, maybe double?)
Feed onto oiled skewers and grill until cooked but not overcooked!!!  
let rest before serving.

Peanut sauce:
2 jalapeno peppers (I omit seeds)
2 t minced garlic
1 t fresh grated ginger
1 C peanut butter
2 T sesame oil
1/3 C fish sauce
1 T lime juice
1 14 oz can coconut milk
2 T hoisin sauce
Puree in blender until smooth.  Flavor improves over time.
Note this makes what seems like a double batch of sauce; I freeze the
other half for next time.

To feed my family, I usually make 3 large chicken breasts (with
marinade amount from above), half a batch of peanut sauce, and 6 cups
sticky rice.  And a veg.  There are absolutely no leftovers and people
are scraping the sauce bowl.  3 large chicken breasts turns into about
7 full skewers.  Definitely 2 skewers per person is the norm for a
dinner, my big eaters are always looking for a third.  Last night I
made 2 huge breasts - 5 skewers - with full sauce recipe and 4 cups
rice.  Amelia wasn't home.  The only thing left over was about a half
cup of sauce.  Which, by the way, is marvelous on noodles with
shredded spinach and julienned carrots.

Comments