Spicy Sausage and Lentil Stew, from Roxane

Originally from Ellen K. Watson, Moscow Idaho.  Was given to me by my Aunt Anne

Recipe note:  A hearty molasses and spice flavor permeates this top-rated lentil stew

Roxane’s note:
I got this recipe from my Aunt Anne Neal.  She gave me three recipes: Shipwreck Casserole, this one, and Country Pie, after we had Ned & Anne over for dinner early in our marriage and I hadn’t timed the cooking very well. I think I had cooked thick pork chops and they took a long time to get to temperature, so we had to wait a bit for dinner.  So as any aunt and mother would do, she offered her young niece some handy recipes. 

I have started by cooking the sausages and vegetables first  then dumping in the lentils, water, and the rest of the ingredients then cooking for 50 minutes because I was lazy and didn’t want to dirty too many dishes . I should see if there’s some improvement if the sausage and tomatoes only cooked in the last 15 minutes. 

Also, this makes a ton. 


Ingredients

1 pound dry lentils
1 small bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon each garlic salt, dry mustard, ground cinnamon, ground clove, ground ginger, and ground nutmeg
2 medium onions, cut in wedges (optional)
1 stalk celery
1/8 teaspoon each dried crushed savory and dried crushed thyme
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons molasses
8 ounces Polish or German sausage, cut in ½-inch chunks
2 tablespoons chili sauce or salsa
1 can tomato stewed
2 large carrots

Directions

In a Dutch oven combine lentils, 5 cups water, and seasonings.   Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes  I skillet cook sausage and onions till meat is slightly browned, add to stew with remaining ingredients.  Simmer, covered, 15 minutes.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

Comments